Located along the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, Glendora is a historic, yet vibrant community of some 50,000 plus residents. “The Pride of the Foothills” is a city with a historic past and a bright future.
Once a stop on historic Route 66 – known as “Main Street of America” and one of the original highway systems in the country -- the city of Glendora is less than an hour’s drive from downtown Los Angeles. Its strategic location offers convenient access to major commercial, cultural, educational and recreational areas in Southern California.
Today that history is celebrated along the reclaimed “Route 66” where the city’s historic downtown district was renovated and revitalized… bringing with it a new attitude and atmosphere. Glendora is very business friendly and has seen a recent influx of new investment in recent years.
For home buyers, the real estate choices are numerous. Residences in Glendora range from early 20th-century bungalows, to modest ranch-style homes, to multi-story configurations, to grand mansions. Horse properties and vacant land for custom homes area also available. Glendora's most expensive neighborhoods contain many very large, secluded, estate homes with views across the San Gabriel Valley to Downtown Los Angeles.
These neighborhoods include: Morgan Ranch, Gordon Highlands, Bluebird Hill, Silent Ranch, Oak Tree Rancho, Hidden Springs, Oakhart Estates, and Easley Canyon Estates.
The city offers good schools, cultural diversity, low crime rates and a strong and supportive business community. The city is home to two major hospitals and Citrus Community College.
Glendora’s history dates back to 1837 when Don Ygnacio Palomares, veteran of the war for Mexican independence, received a 15,000-acre land grant from Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado. The land holding was called Rancho San Jose and included the present day cities of Pomona, Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, and Glendora.
Modern Glendora was established on April 1, 1887 by retired eastern industrialist George D. Whitcomb who moved to California from Illinois in the early 1880s. Whitcomb, who was the founder of the Whitcomb Locomotive Works in Chicago and Rochelle, Illinois, coined the name “Glendora” by combining this wife’s name (Leodora), with the location of his home in a glen of the San Gabriel Mountains. Whitcomb’s Glendora Land Company was instrumental in helping design much of the future town.
Glendora was incorporated in 1911. With agriculture as the key business, the city remained a small citrus-producing community until the late 1950s, when agriculture gave way to large scale residential development. The city has grown steadily ever since.